run, janelle, run!
All of my life, I have been an athlete in some respect. I earned a full scholarship to NC State University for running cross country and track during 2000-2005. Since graduating, I still run and am part of both a women’s and a co-ed adult soccer league down here in NC.
Throughout my years of running, I have been able to observe much- both in the way that people view the sport as spectators as well as how we, the athletes, deal with it mentally. The two are quite different!
It is my hope that this site will serve not only as a journal of my continued experience (and struggles) with this awesome sport, but that it will also offer advice and insight to others where fitness, athleticism and nutrition are concerned.
Janelle: 25 Things
- My background is French Canadian/Barbadian.
- Though my entire name is French, I do not know how to speak French. My mother, on the other hand, can speak French fluently even though she is not of French descent at all.
- During my last semester of graduate school, my mother spent 3 weeks in the ICU and almost died.
- My younger brother is one of the most genuine, caring people I know.
- I rarely drink alcohol anymore if at all. Drunk people annoy me.
- I’m terrified of thunderstorms.
- My favorite ‘holiday’ is my birthday.
- If I could get away with wearing flip-flops year-round, I would.
- I went to Catholic school throughout my formative years until I went away to college.
- I was born in Brooklyn, NY but immediately moved to Long Island where I enjoyed life in suburbia. That being said, I dislike it when I tell people that I’m from New York and they automatically start asking me questions about Manhattan. I have no idea what the difference is between the ‘Upper’ and ‘Lower’ East/West Sides. Ask me about Long Island. That’s where I lived.
- I have a love affair with sugar in all forms- particularly when it comes to Rainbow Cookies, Funny Bones and Girlscout Samoas.
- I miss the old Saturday Morning Cartoons. Kids today don’t know what they’re missing out on.
- I took horseback riding lessons for almost two years and learned how to ride English Saddle. One day, I would like to resume riding and own my own horses.
- After graduate school, I worked for almost two years as a police officer.
- I love writing & was first inspired by my 1st grade teacher, Mrs. Lager, who encouraged me.
- When I first moved to NC to go to school, I swore that I would never stay. I’m still here.
- I am a self-proclaimed ‘neat freak’ which often causes more of a mess at times in my relationships than it helps.
- I like the idea of “having friends,” but I’m horrible about picking up the phone to actually call someone. I prefer email or text instead.
- The day I had to quit my travel soccer team because of my running obligations was a sad day. My father made the phone call for me while I stood by and cried like a baby.
- During college, it didn’t take long to recognize that running was treated as a “business”. It wasn’t fun for me anymore, and I quickly learned to un-like running. At one point, I secretly considered walking away (no pun intended) from my scholarship obligation in order to transfer to a smaller school.
- I loathe coffee and love hot tea (especially green tea and chai tea).
- Some day, I would like to go back to college (again) and earn my PhD.
- I love my mother for her fashion sense and wish that I had inherited that gene. I am a failure when it comes to fashion, opting always for what is comfortable. That being said, I have a thing for graphic T’s and hoodies. Mmm..hoodies.
- Both of my parents mean a lot to me, and I worry about them all the time.
- I never knew my grandfathers. I am extremely close to both of my grandmothers, and on February 19, 2011, I held my (maternal) grandmother‘s hand while she slipped away. Every time I think about her, I immediately tear up.
Also stop by my photojournal, A.per.ture.